Monday, February 5, 2018

Wolf Warrior 2

I have to admit that I didn't know Wu Jing directed and I didn't see the first Wolf Warrior.  However, this is the first Chinese movie that I've seen done in Africa and for that alone, along with an international cast including a menacing Frank Grillo , it should be noteworthy.  It's not lost upon me and should be noted, that it's a very political film.  Pro-China is not exactly subtle here and their international involvement on the African continent is just being echoed here onscreen.  Irregardless of that, the action sequences are hard and nonstop and the accolades and big budget for that also, make quite a mark.  I kept thinking The Expendables and every other over the top action blockbuster in recent history.  Yet, with all that said and acknowledged, it unavoidably suffers from a lack of finesse, pacing, and character development.  This is certainly not to let the plot off the hook either.  As long as the viewer knows this going in, it's all fine; as Wolf Warrior 2 is certainly entertaining and action packed.  Wu Jing put in a lot of work for sure as director and star.  The African scenery is incredible and I applaud the use of an African cast.  How they fit into the plot and just their general portrayal definitely needs work though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?