Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Shaft

I must admit that I didn't realize until writing this that it had been 20 years since Samuel Jackson reprised the Shaft role, because I was saying to myself why is he doing another one again (as if it had been like only a decade ago).  However, I still ask myself why.  I like Sam, but this movie just feels like an excuse to hear him cuss out folks and it's funny and entertaining in that sense.  But that's just it, Shaft was never a comedy, at least never leaning into it this much.  Jesse T. Usher is supposed to be the son and grandson here and shit, I'm not feeling it on any level.  So, the Shaft franchise goes from legendary to what can only be approximated to this kind of comedy buddy film that just distracts from what the plot of the film is; because I sure as shit can't tell you what the film is about and nor do I fuckin' care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?