Saturday, June 8, 2013

In Anticipation of "The Grandmaster"

One thing about director Wong Kar Wai, is that he makes you wait and wait as he delays and delays his brilliantly poetic films.  Well, the wait is over, as I just had to order my dvd copy of The Grandmaster yesterday, as soon as I knew it was available.  Harvey Weinstein and his American distribution will take their time about releasing it directly in the States and may do some unnecessary choppy chop on this art piece.  I say "art piece" with great confidence, not just because I'm a huge fan of China's equivalent to the team Scorsese and Deniro in director  Kar Wai and lead actor Tony Leung, but because the trailer variations and opening 30 minutes that I couldn't help but take a peak at online, are instant marvels of cinematography on par with classic visual martial art works of art like Kar Wai's classic Ashes of Time and nodding to Zhang Yimou's  Hero.  In addition, the higher internal level and historical elements of the various southern and northern martial, seemed to be justly represented and explored; which to me is exquisitely interesting in any martial arts film.

In the meantime, check out Tony Leung who's been training for the role since 2007 in this clip.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?